Saturday, 19 September 2015


The women's national side put on a goal fest as they comfortably came through their opening qualifying test for the 2017 UEFA Women's Championship with a 12-0 win over Hungary.
Silvia Neid's side had the Hungarians pinned back inside their own half from the very first whistle and were on the way to victory after just seven minutes when a corner from Melanie Behringer was headed in by Alexandra Popp to give the Germans a 1-0 lead. They needed just two further minutes to double their lead, right back Leonie Maier curling in from the edge of the penalty area.

Mittag the provider as Goeßling scores twice

The much-fancied German side created chance after chance, whilst the visitors, who featured Wolfsburg's Zsanett Jakabfi, barely managed any sort of possession in the German penalty area. The Germany attackers were able to play with real enjoyment, whilst the defence remained completely impenetrable. Tabea Kemme got on the scoresheet in the 15th minute when a cross-field pass evaded everyone and found its way to the left back, who tucked it away with ease from ten yards.
Germany's next goalscoring chance came soon afterwards when Hungary's captain Angéla Smuczer fouled Maier in the area. Melanie Behringer stepped up to take the resulting penalty and gave goalkeeper Réka Szőcs no chance with a well-placed kick into the right-hand corner. Pauline Bremer was next to add to Germany's tally, celebrating her first international goal in her seventh appearance for the side. Anja Mittag set the striker up perfectly, and she finished without error to put her side five goals to the good. Lena Goeßling then scored twice in quick succession to round off the half, both goals coming after good work from Mittag.

Germany run riot in the final half hour

The Germans eased up somewhat after the break and as a result, the visitors were able to carve out a few opportunities of their own. Fanni Vágó and Viktória Szabó were both presented with good chances just before the hour mark but were unable to provide accurate finishes.
It wasn't until the 63rd minute that the Hungarian goal was once again under threat, as goalkeeper Szöcs put the ball on a plate for Simone Laudehr with a weak punched clearance. She duly obliged, and the Germans grabbed their ninth shortly afterwards when Popp volleyed home from twelve yards.

Bremer brings up double figures

The Germany side now rediscovered their determination and reaped the fruits of their labour. Bremer rose unmarked at the far post to head in their tenth goal, and substitute Melanie Leupolz then intercepted an attempted clearance to slot home from the edge of the box.
Bremer put the cherry on the icing on the cake when she scored Germany's final goal on 84 minutes to complete her hat trick after being played in by Sara Bäbritz.


Post a Comment

Blogger Templates